Thursday, March 22, 2012

Morning people

I'm not supposed to be a morning person. Even as a kid, I liked sleeping in, and the my teenage years took it up a notch: waking up at 3pm was not unheard of.

But this morning, as happens more frequently since I quit drinking, I woke up 30 minutes before the alarm, and since I try to get up at 4:15 so I can hit the gym before work, that means I basically woke up in the middle of the night.

But, I wasn't sleepy. I felt well-rested. Instead of lying there I just got up and made myself a coffee and breakfast and used the extra time to read some favourite websites and catch up on the news. It was nice.

While I was waiting for the water to boil, I thought about how this would have gone down if I were drinking. My mouth would have tasted gross. I would have been tired. I would have had a headache. I would have been sluggish, grumpy, and possibly still drunk. I would have been covered in sweat, and I would have kept the boyfriend awake with my loud snoring.

Oh! Here's a fun fact: because my snoring was so loud, my boyfriend and I have always slept foot-to-head, upside down to each other. For the last month, we've been sleeping with our heads at the same side of the bed. It's much better, because I can listen to him breathe. And he says he sleeps just fine.

Sobriety is good for relationships!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes it is. I have almost forgotten what waking up with a hangover is like. I do remember however the many many times I was dragging my sorry ass around the gym looking at all the other women and wondering how many of them were also dysfunctional drinkers..? Probably none I thought, so I felt quite alone there (even though all the regulars are very friendly). I was wrapped in my own hellish secret. But no longer! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was definitely one of those dysfunctional drinkers at the gym, wondering if my sweat smelled as badly of booze as I thought it did.

    Nowadays I guess I smell fine (...erm, I hope!), and I'm at the gym a heck of a lot more regularly.

    ReplyDelete